Search Engine Optimisation
Everyone wants to rank in Google (and other similar search engines), but not many companies know how to.
Read our blog below on how to choose a web developer who understands SEO.
Did you know that most of your client and prospective customer enquiries should come from your website ranking on page one of Google?
We have customers who don't have to cold call at all, all their customer enquiries comes from the fact that their website ranks in Google, organically.
This is called Search Engine Optimisation, or SEO.
And you can't afford to not invest in it, today. We have an SEO turbo Boost package, for only R5k, we'll sort out your SEO on your WordPress website, so it has the best chance of ranking!
Google is all about giving relevant pages to people who are searching the internet. There’s nothing more frustrating that searching for something and not finding what you’re looking for. That’s why Google makes sure you don’t find a porn site when searching for umbrellas. They use an algorithm that is very long, complex and unique to classify web pages and serve up the most relevant ones to searchers.
What Google Loves
A few important things go into ranking organically (not paid for) when searched for in Google. Nobody knows for certain what the exact algorithm is that Google uses, but these are a few of the key features:
1. Fresh Content. Make sure you are constantly adding new (and relevant) pages to your website, filled with key search terms. DO NOT copy anyone else's content! Google knows and will penalise you. Make sure it's unique and relevant to your site.
2. Use Keywords. Keywords are phrases or terms that people search for when looking for your product in Google. Make sure your website has pages called these terms and that the pages have images and lots of words (not gibberish!) that are relevant to these keywords.
3. On-Page SEO. Your developer needs to read the Google handbook and code according to those standards. Links need to be labeled, images need to be labeled, header 1’s and 2’s need to be used, cross linking of content, xml site maps, page title, domain name, subdomain, URL string, body element, alt attribute, bold/strong tag, etc. All of these and more need to be in place before a site gets the thumbs up from Google.
4. Back Links. Get websites or blogs that are related to your industry to link to your home page (a clean link). Do not buy these links as this will get your site penalised by Google and you’ll never rank. It has to be organic and natural. YouTube (owned by Google) is a good place for backlinks. Creating videos that are relevant to your users on YouTube adds value to your site. Twitter, Facebook and other social media sites are also taken into account.
5. The User's Experience. Google is getting smarter and smarter, and with each new version, factors that influence how users experience your site are becoming more important. How big is your site and how long does it take to load? How long are users on your website? Which site do they go to after your website? All of this informs Google about your site’s quality. Make sure you keep users on your site and don’t frustrate them.
6. Go for the long Tail, and not the Fat Head. The Long Tail refers to sentences that people are searching for that are long and very specific. These search terms usually generate higher sales, as people who search for specific makes, models and areas are normally eager to buy. For example: ‘Camera Canon EOS 1100 d Cape Town’ is a search by someone who wants to buy and soon. ‘Canon camera’ is a Fat Head search and will generate hundreds of millions of results, and probably no sales.
7. Site Migrations. When migrating an old site to a new design, make sure you involve us early in the process. We have to prepare Google for the fact that old pages are now renamed or removed. If you don’t do this you will lose any Google equity you have gathered over the years.
How do you get your website to rank in Google?
It is possible to rank in Google organically, without paying for it. All you need to do is follow Google's common-sense guidelines and you could have your website on page one of Google in no time.
On and Off Page SEO
There are a number of things you need to watch out for when creating a new site or migrating an old one. Work with SEO consultants like Shift ONE digital to ensure that this rocky road is navigated painlessly and your SEO rankings in Google are not lost.
Call us today at +27 21 554 2498 or email email@example.com
With a focused SEO strategy, we can work towards having your business at the top of Google so that it can flourish.
If you are interested in any of our services, contact us today and set up a meeting.